Are you thinking about buying a house? Or maybe you want to sell the one you’re in and relocate. Either way, a home inspection is in your future. Here’s what you need to know.
When a home inspector climbs onto a roof, he or she is looking for a checklist of issues, including:
- Cracked or broken pipe flashing (the boot that goes around plumbing pipes). This is susceptible to dry rot and should be replaced every four to five years.
- Improper, inadequate or missing roof-to-wall flashing.
- Excessive amounts of granules in the gutters. As a shingle ages, it deteriorates and the granules break loose. If there are a lot of them in the gutters, that could indicate a problem.
- Cracked or missing shingles. Wind can lift a shingle, cracking it or blowing it completely off, which breaks its waterproof seal. This could be indicative of undetected or poorly repaired storm damage.
- Curled shingles. As a roof ages, the shingles deteriorate. Curved shingles are a sign that the roof has reached the end of its life expectancy and needs to be replaced.
- Proper ventilation. Home usually have one kind of ventilation via ridge vents, turbine vents (aka whirlybirds) or power vents. Proper air circulation through the attic is important year round. A poorly designed or non-functioning ventilation system can lead to big roof repairs.
When roofers remove shingles to replace your roof, they may find additional problems and add to the cost of roof replacement or repair, such as:
- Rotten decking that needs to be replaced.
- Old pipe flashing, turbine vents, and other accessories that need to be replaced when the roof is replaced.
- Old or lack of felt paper (not using or replacing felt paper makes the roof more vulnerable in the event of a fire)
- Two layers of shingles
- Improper, damaged or missing flashing
- Old leaks that have caused damage to soffit and gables on exterior (not included in cost of replacing of roof)
Ready 2 Roof’s general contractors are manufacturer certified, which means we offer lifetime warranties that cover 100% of the costs of many of these repairs starting from the day your roof is replaced. Read 2 Roof serves the Brandon, Flowood and Madison, Mississippi areas. For a free consultation and estimate, call the experts at Ready 2 Roof at 601-573-1160.